Thursday 6 March 2014

AUSTRALIAN TEAM RELAY CHAMPIONSHIPS: FOR THE LOVE OF IT

I love anything that encourages the participation of riders in a friendly and encouraging environment, so it’s no surprise that I enjoy the Team’s Relay at the National Championships every year. The format sees teams of four combine, with each rider completing one lap of the cross-country course. The catch is that you need one of each of the following: an <U19 rider, U23/Elite rider, Veteran> and a female. Last year we entered the race for the love of it and had a ball, so it made sense to rally some Bendigonian’s together and do it all again!

#TASR team take bronze - missing Chris & Isaac!
Photo courtesy of selfie

 Picking a team came easy. I was the female, Jarrod the veteran (he is happy to admit it), our partner in crime Chris Hamilton stepped up to Elite, and 14-yr old Isaac Buckell was our U19 rep. After a few small mechanicals the boys handed over to me to bring the team home. I went out in second and was caught by one of the boys to finish in third. My lap was everything I wanted it to be and I was happy to stand on the podium on the first day of the Championships- I do hope to step a little higher on Saturday :)


I’m so excited to get my cross-country race underway. There are no nerves as of yet, just enthusiasm and excitement. It will be my day, whether I stand on the podium or not, because it’s my 26th birthday and that’s always a good excuse to celebrate!