Monday 11 June 2007

GIPPSLAND 3 DAY TOUR

After returning from China on Friday I couldn't wait to get home and have some PASTA!! I had almost forgotten how to cook. I had also forgotten what it was like to lay on a bed that didn't have similar attributes to a wooden plank... soo good to be home :) Then I prepared for the three days of racing to come in my local Gippsland Tour. I was doubting my late decision to race men’s A grade when the feeling of jet lag had my legs rolling over at a mere 25km/hr for a pre-race start on Saturday. But for me it was training and in the rain (in usual tour fashion), I fronted on the line. Saturday saw me puncture just 9kms in and then go on to finish with a slow leak that managed to get me to the line with the bunch. After losing a minute to the leaders in the 6km Time Trial the following morning, I finished again, comfortably in the peloton that afternoon.

Monday bought some more rain but after riding in 3degree temperatures the day before the light shower didn’t seem to phase me. Over the final climb the group split and with the two favourites turning onto a side ride just 200metres from the finish (what the??) I managed to run third. I thoroughly enjoyed my pub meal that followed and catching up with my local boys who I really missed over my previous racing block. I now look forward to a few easy days relaxing at home before catching up on some study later in the week. Maybe I’ll invest some time into those cheap DVD’s I scored in China…!

Results: Gippsland 3 Day Tour, Victoria