Monday 22 October 2007

A QUARTER OF A BAY…IN A DAY

My travelling was once again done on the Friday after TAFE. I was to spend the weekend with my parents in East Melbourne on a fold out couch and was pleased to have the Saturday morning free to do some early kilometres. It started poorly when I arrived at Black Rock at 6am to discover the bunch doesn’t leave until 7am! That afternoon, the second of two Portfolio Partner Women’s criterium’s was to be staged in Melbourne in conjunction with the Jayco Herald Sun Tour Time Trial. A massive field of 40 showed to race, with 6, including myself, chasing on the opening lap after missing the start! … From then on I struggled. Nevertheless I found myself on the attack and with a lap to go I buried myself to get away, and then I continued to bury myself just to finish in the main bunch! Rochelle Gilmore (NSWIS/Menikini) took the stage in a bunch kick, with Berry (VIS) in second and Jenny Macpherson (CCCC) third.

On Sunday a promotional ride to be run in conjunction with the Portfolio Partner’s Bay in a Day saw me treated to coffee with Rochelle Gilmore, Olivia Gollan and Belinda Goss in Sorrento. Liz had driven us from the city at 6am in a hope to join with a bunch of willing female cyclists, a general invitation had been sent out to join with us. To our dismay we rode away at 8am with just the four of us, it seems that not one of the 15,000 cyclists taking part were interested! It didn’t take long for the four of us to develop a large bunch of cyclists…on mountain bikes…with camelbacks…and standard shoes… Not all seemed lost, until Belinda got in the support vehicle after 40kms and then I blew a tyre after 70kms, catching the train home and consequently missing the final stage of the Herald Sun Tour! I was in bed by 8pm and awake again at 10pm to watch the tour highlights, but I couldn’t even keep my eyes open for that, feeling the effects of a big weekend.