Wednesday 15 August 2007

STAGE 4A FRANCE: I MUST HAVE GROWN AN ASS

It came as no surprise that this mornings 94km stage was quite sedated, aside from three crashes in neutral, the first involving newly crowned yellow jersey holder Rasmussen (Menikini) within the opening 200metres. The wet roads proved for entertainment when I found myself near the front for 5kms of single file gutter action through relatively small towns. One by one I watched girls attack and deck themselves through roundabouts and corners, 5 in total, Michelle Hyland (NZL) accounting for two. She was riding strong and I felt bad for her as they had already sent 3 NZL girls home that morning via train. I stayed upright and in the closing stages found position and prayed that the rain would hold off for the finish.

Another bunch kick saw me place 4th and I'm beginning to wonder if I am indeed growing some sort of arse that brings with it sprinting ability? Rochelle was given most aggressive on the day after starting in the rain and withdrawing after 2kms due to excruciating pain in her shoulder. A buffet lunch put on by Broso and Dazza almost went to waste when Kate and I informed them that meals were being provided on our split-stage. But when presented with a hairy chicken for lunch, which was quite tender if I do say so myself, the girls were still slightly peckish. A drive around the 22.4km time trial circuit seemed longer than expected in the car, and I had no doubt that it would feel even longer on the bike.

Results: La Route De France Feminine, Stage 4a, Saintry - Amilly, 94.2 kms