Wednesday 18 July 2007

STAGE 1 BRETAGNE: TOUR DE BRETAGNE FEMININ

Today in our team meeting I was nominated team captain, a role that I'm nervous about despite the fact I'm not sure what it even involves. The racing was aggresive so I tried to stay up the front without getting overly involved, conserving myself for the days to come. I was disappointed with my body today, I was powerless and suffering immensely in the heat but bring it on =) We completed a 60km loop followed by 7 laps of a 5km circuit which was both mentally and physically challenging. With a technical course it turned into sprint, brake, hill, sprint, brake, hill with an average speed of over 35k/hr.

When the pressure was on over the climbs I was there, even managing QOM points. Tiff worked hard to bring a break back over the final climb and a counter attack saw the making of the winning break. Tiff led Bel out for the bunch kick where she ran 4th. Kate began cramping in the closing stages while Lou looked comfortable in the bunch. Bel received the white jersey before we corrected the situation and amended her birth date. Ath is amazing and Michel was impressed, while Daryl is too preoccupied with the attractive Therme DS Yankia who nicknamed him 'Chocolate Steve'?? Don't ask... I have no idea what that means!

Results: Tour de Bretagne Feminin, Stage 1, Saint Vincent Sur Oust - Rieux, 95.8kms